Construction Uses of Information Models - CII
The purpose is to identify the breadth of construction needs for using virtual information models (referred to as ‘models’) throughout the project lifecycle, and develop an approach to improve information accessibility to support construction.
There is an opportunity to leverage models more effectively and comprehensively within facility construction and operation phases. Current practices frequently require significant design content re-modeling or revision for construction, such as the creation of detailed fabrication models and coordination models adding details required for construction. There is also a need for comprehensive understanding construction information requirements that can be delivered via a model.
The value within this project will be to understand construction information requirements and processes that can improve construction by leveraging information models. In addition, a broader list of uses for virtual construction information models will be generated. This study will also support increased adoption of model uses within individual construction tasks through a planning process.
Who Will Benefit?
1. Contractors and project teams who are seeking to adopt greater virtual information model use
2. Owner/Operators who will receive a high quality facility
3. Potential future model users (e.g. operators who perform digital asset management)
Products of Research
1) A Summary of development of construction model uses and planning guidelines.
2) A Report covering the identification of model uses in construction. Case study results to identify best practices.
3) Guidelines that define the construction use cases for models and how project teams can implement them. This will lead future development efforts within construction organizations and software development.
The research will begin by identifying the state-of-the-art uses of model information for construction. Then, the team will identify opportunities to expand the use of design models in construction. These uses will be documented in a catalog of current and future uses of models for construction. Finally, guidelines for implementing model uses within construction will be developed and validated.